Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Declining Divorce Rates in the U.S. : My Theory

I have said it over and over again since I was probably about 14 or 15 years-old:  “Divorce rates will lower again, because the children of my generation don’t want to put their kids through it and don’t want to go through what they have seen their parents go through.” And coming upon the age where practically everyone around me is settling down, or talking about settling down and getting married, I still believe this to be true. It won’t be the case for everyone, but I think when my generation is in their 30s, research will be done showing successful marriage rates of CODs (children of divorces) in my generation.
Many statistics out there and research “proves” that if you are a child of divorce, you are more likely to get a divorce yourself. While I can see how this is very likely to be the case of CODs, because there is a ton of research that shows children tend to behave in relationships the way they see their parents behave, I also have a strong belief, [due to the ways of my recently married, 26-year-old sister, and the ways of 26-year-old best friend who is way more cautious about marriage to her boyfriend of 2 years, than I thought she’d be at 26 (who also comes from divorced parents)] that my generation will not want to make the same decision as their now, divorced parents made.
Recent statistics from Totaldivorce.com might just shine a little light on my theory. Divorce rates are at their lowest in 37 years.   I think that’s pretty huge, and because of my theory, I don’t think they will drastically be dropping back down anytime soon.

How do you feel about my theory?

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree--I got married as my parents were getting divorced and I feel like I will have a stronger marriage because I've seen firsthand what happens when you stop communicating, etc.

    ReplyDelete