Thursday, December 30, 2010

It Never Stops Being Difficult

As I've said before and as I'm sure I will repeat many more times, when my parents told me about their divorce I was 12, and I thought I was so wise. I told myself that I wasn't going to let my parent's divorce be me, or affect me. That I could handle it and that everything would be fine.

Then when my father met his now, fiance of 10-years, I told myself it would under no circumstances be a situation close to Cinderella and I would never claim her the evil-step-mother.

I was wrong on both accounts.

But then as you grow older and grow through these experiences of divorce, there's a time  probably up until this year, that I actually thought I could move away, get married at some point and it would be better. That I would have more power of how my holidays were spent, of how I was treated, of how my parents talked to me about one another or about how I would spend my time with them.

I thought moving further away from my family once I graduated college would make my parents realize I'm not trying to be around them and their divorce drama and that they'd let up on stressing me out with all that mess.

Wrong again.

Now, I'm just further north, cold, away from all my friends and wishing I lived closer again because maybe I would have more time to split among my parents and things wouldn't be so hard. Although, I'm sure I'd be right back where I started if I did move back to the same state.

Just so you know, if you're a parent about to get a divorce, if you're a COD or an ACOD going through it, 1 year, 5 years or 10+ years, it never stops being difficult.

1 comment:

  1. This is also very true...no matter what age you're at, divorce hurts. I'm 24 and it hurts me a ton to see what's happened to my parents' 27-year marriage.

    ReplyDelete