Wednesday, January 5, 2011

COD vs ACOD: So what IS a COD?

I feel that upon the beginning of my "COD: The Real War" blog, I should clear up a few acronym misunderstandings one might have.

I believe the first time I ever came upon the acronym COD was doing a research paper on Divorce in one of my Sociology courses in college. So, for many of us now-a-days especially my generation and younger, think of COD as the addictive video game Call of Duty but the original meaning of COD is "Child of Divorce" interesting how both have to do with some form of war...


The other acronym I will probably use every now and again is an ACOD (Adult Child of Divorce) the difference between a COD and an ACOD is the difference between another blogger and I. Feeling Barefoot is a great blog about an ACOD and although the two of us probably have many similar stories, the difference is that although I am now an adult, when my parents divorced I was a child. Her parents divorced when she was an adult. Hence the word Adult in front of the acronym. Follow both of us, and you will probably realize that we have two different takes on being in a divorced family.

From talking and reading about ACODs I get the feeling that many of them feel as if their memories are lost or are in vein or because their parents are divorcing when they are an adult, it's as if they don't know who they are anymore. But as a COD, I have always had the feeling of it being a part of me and although when I was 12 and naiive (but thought I was wise) and I told myself being a COD would not effect who I was going to be, it has completely. It is engrained in me and the person I am today is because I am a Child of Divorce. Not a holiday or special occasion goes by that I don't wonder, "Who would I be if my parents stayed together?"

I'm still not sure if one is easier than the other, and honestly, they probably both suck equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment